Thai Chicken Coconut Soup. This soup is by far one of my favorite soups. It’s perfect for the winter months to warm you up with its savory coconut broth. I’ve had a lot of soups but this one has such a great balance of flavors that just thinking about it makes my mouth water while I type this up to share with you.
My older sister developed this recipe and then my wife added here own personal touch to it to make it out of this world. Easy enough for anyone to make and you can replace the chicken/stock with fish, shrimp or make it totally vegan with just vegetables and vegetable stock. You can also make it as mild or as spicy as you wish. I personally load mine up with dried crushed chili pepper and Adoboloco Habanero Sauce.
- 2 TBSP Tom Yum Soup Base
- 1 Medium Onion – Sliced
- 6-8 Boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size chunks
- 3 TBSP Tamarind Paste
- 3-4 Cans Coconut Milk
- 1 Box Organic Chicken Stock
- 3 – 4 Kafir Lime Leaves – Chopped really small
- 8oz Box of Mushrooms – Quartered
- 5oz Box Grape Tomatoes – Sliced and seasoned with a little sea salt
- 1 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro – Chopped
- Fish Sauce / Patis – Get a bottle and keep in in your pantry
- Dried Crushed Red Pepper or chopped fresh red Thai Chilies
- Adoboloco Habanero
- Steamed Jasmin Rice
In peanut or coconut oil saute onion in Tom Yum Soup base until onions start to get soft, add chicken, season with a small amount of fish sauce. Cook till chicken is browned or done, add Tamarind paste, add 1 box organic chicken stock then add chopped kafir lime leaves, add cans of coconut milk. When combined taste to see if you need to add more Tom Yum or tamarind and adjust to taste. Add the mushrooms. Let simmer for an hour or two and serve.
Serve over rice, garnish with red peppers, cilantro and sliced grape tomatoes and slurp away.
Did you already share this? Mahalo for sharing it now: