Being from Hawaii, this dish brings back childhood memories and is a true comfort food. It’s so easy to make with very few ingredients that almost anyone can get.
Enjoy! If you make it, please leave a comment below on how you enjoyed it or what you did to customize it. You can eat just about anything with Congee.
Insta-Pot Congee (Savory Rice Porridge)
- 6/1 Ratio (Chicken Stock/Rice)
- Fresh Ginger, Chopped Fine (1 inch x 1 inch section, add more if you like more ginger)
- 1-3 Fresh Cloves Garlic, Chopped Fine (add more if you like more garlic)
- Load into Insta-Pot for 30 minutes on high pressure.
- When done, quick release pressure and season with salt, pepper and or shoyu (soy sauce) to taste
- Make extra for leftovers, and use more stock to thin the Congee as needed
- 3 1⁄2 pounds chicken (use your preferred cut, we use boneless thighs)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup your favorite cooking oil (peanut is preferred)
- 1 cup ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cup green onions, finely minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water
- Place the chicken in a covered stock pot filled with enough water to cover the chicken
- In a stock pot, place your chicken in, fill with enough water to cover the chicken
- Cover the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes or until fully cooked
- Turn heat off and let chicken cool in the liquid until warm
- Rinse chicken under cold water and pat dry
- Rub chicken with sesame oil
- Cut the chicken into pieces and place on a platter
- If you like your ginger chicken really cold, refrigerate until fully cold. We usually serve at room temp or slightly colder with the hot Congee
- Heat your oil in a small pan. Once it is hot, add the ginger and green onions.
- Cook for about 30 seconds
- Add salt to taste
- Pour the hot ginger/green onion sauce over the chicken
- In a bowl, scoop the desired amount of Congee, place ginger chicken on top, garnish with fresh green onion and slather up with some Hawaiian Chili Pepper Water